Welcome to the Covid 19 Recycling Design and Construction Challenge
About Build To The Line
We live in an engineered world and the challenges and opportunities we will face in the future in areas such as energy, food, transport and housing will require new engineering ideas and solutions.
Science informs us of the need to apply approaches to design and engineering that embody key principles of sustainability and low environmental impact. This will mean future engineers will need to rethink the materials they choose to use and their sources.
Efficiency will also be a key consideration in the design process to ensure that scarce or valuable resources can be maximised. Build To The Line is a new Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Maths (STEAM) education programme from the Learning Partnership that aims to engage and educate young people in these new ways of design and engineering thinking.
Beginning with cardboard as material, the Build To The Line programme will offer a wide range of design challenges and virtual competitions for students and classes to engage with.
Team and class organisation
Build To The Line is a team or individual based programme of challenges. Kit for a class can support 15 teams of 2 students in a team or 30 students individually. Each team has a limited number of parts they can use for tackling a challenge, however the kit can be used for all manner of creative challenges in the home.
The kit consists of:
- 2, 15, 30 or 60 Pozidrive No 2. Stubby Screwdrivers (2 for a home kit, 1 per team or 1 per student depending upon the option selected by the school)
- 160, 240,480 or 960 plugs
- 160, 240 480 or 960 screw eyes
- 1, 2 or 4 Medium Weight Cotton Twine/String balls to share out.
- 1, 2 or 4 Canary Knife and 1, 2 or 4 "Slice" finger friendly Knife. (These can be sourced as a class pack of 15 or 30 if required, just email firstname.lastname@example.org to request this product)
The registration fee also covers all teaching materials to support the challenges.
Visit www.buildtotheline.com and simply follow the instructions to access all teaching materials.